Cocktail supping is not just for summer. Here are four delicious ways to win at winter drinks, from an irresistible Bailey’s flat white to a lip smacking Moscow Mule and a decadent rosé Champagne concoction. Get the party started
Shop the feature
The ultimate mulled wine cocktail
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 1 star anise, plus extra to serve
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 clementines, thinly sliced
- 150ml cointreau
- 750ml bottle of light red wine, such as Beaujolais
Method Makes 4-6 servings
- Put the sugar in a pan with the star anise, cinnamon stick, cloves and 150ml water. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Simmer for 2 minutes, then pour into a large jug and leave to cool. Add the lemon and clementine slices to the jug along with the Cointreau and wine. such as a Beaujolais. Stir well, then cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight if you can.
- Remove the cloves and serve chilled or over ice, garnish with a piece of cinnamon stick and a couple of star anise. If you’d prefer to serve a traditional warm mulled wine, there’s no need to chill – simply warm through without boiling and serve in heatproof glasses.
Pomegranate thyme fizz
- 120ml Brut Rosé Champagne or dry rosé sparkling wine
- 2-3 dashes orange bitters
- 60ml pomegranate juice
- Raspberries, to serve
- Thyme sprigs, to serve
Method Makes 4 servings
- In a Champagne flute, pour in the Champagne, followed by the orange bitters.
- Fill the glass with pomegranate juice.
- Garnish with a raspberry and a sprig of thyme.
The cranberry Moscow mule
- 2 shots Vodka
- 225ml ginger beer
- ½ cup cranberry juice
- 2 limes
- Cranberries, to serve
- Rosemary sprigs, to serve
Method Makes 1 serving
- Drop a handful of ice into your Moscow Mule mug.
- Add the vodka, ginger beer, and top with cranberry juice.
- Cut 1 lime in half and squeeze both halves into the drink.
- Top with a handful of cranberries and garnish with a slice of lime and a sprig of rosemary.
The irresistible Baileys flat white martini
- 50ml Baileys Original Irish Cream
- 25ml espresso
- 25ml vodka
- 3 coffee beans, to serve
Method Makes 1 serving
- Pop some ice cubes into a cocktail shaker and pour in the Baileys.
- Add the espresso and vodka.
- Shake it up until everything is perfectly blended and the liquid is silky smooth.
- Strain into a cocktail glass and gently place three coffee beans on the top. Enjoy!
Perfect gifts for cocktail lovers